Family Reunification in Spain: What You Need to Know


It often happens that people, under certain circumstances, are forced to emigrate to other countries. It should not surprise anyone that there are many such people in Spain too. But what about their families? You can, indeed, take advantage of family reunification in Spain and let your family come to live with you. This article will show you how to do it step by step.

spain family reunification

The procedure of family reunification allows your family members to join you and live in Spain

You can make a request for your family to join you after one year of living in Spain. However, there are cases when you are able to start the procedure of family reunification in Spain from the very moment of your arrival in the country, namely: you are a researcher or a student, you have the Blue Card of the EU, or you have a long-term residence in another state of the EU.

So, the procedure of family reunification in Spain starts with family documentation. You need to fill an application form, provide your I.D. and what kind of relationship you have with a person you want to reunite with. You are able to do it either in your home country in a Spanish embassy or consulate or in Spain. There, you will be required to provide the following documents:

  • Documents that prove a relationship;
  • Passports of people you want to reunite with and your passport;
  • Proof of having enough space for all family members where to live;
  • Proof of health insurance;
  • Proof of being employed and have enough finance;
  • A sworn statement, in which you pledge that there is no other partner you live with in Spain.

After that, your family members will receive an application. Once it has been done, your family members should go to a Spanish consulate or embassy and apply for visa(s) within two months. Not always, but sometimes your family members may be asked to have an interview with a responsible person at the embassy, as well as to present some or all of the following documents:

  • Medical certificates;
  • Passports;
  • Proofs of relationship;
  • Certificates that show your family members have no past criminal records.

After completing the previously described actions, your family members should be granted their visas to Spain. They will have three months (since the moment of obtaining their visas) in order to come to Spain.

Upon the arrival of your family members in the country, they will have to complete the procedure of family reunification in Spain. In fact, your family members have a month for going to the closest Foreigner’s Office. There, they will get the identity numbers (NIE) and Foreigner’s identification cards (TIE), needed for living in Spain as a foreigner. Following it, they should register at the town hall in order to be recognized as residents.

The residence permit of your family members will be valid as long as your residence permit is valid. Family members of yours who are aged 18 (or over 18) are able to work in Spain without a necessity to get a work permit.


Leave a Reply

Notify of