Udemy is one of the most popular platforms of MOOC (massive open online courses) on the web, whereas the number of its courses astonishingly exceeds the numbers of courses of its competitors – over 48,000 courses! The overall platform is aimed to serve the needs of professional adults, who wish to promote their careers and develop personally. Our Udemy review will give you an insight about how the portal functions, what are its advantages, where you can find coupons and alternatives to Udemy, and how to start using this service.
Udemy functions as a trade exchange between providers of courses and those who wish to take them up. Actually, the platform allows almost anyone to publish his/her courses and sell them to a large number of people. In that regards, Udemy has dedicated its efforts to attracting professionals from various industries into the process of course-making. And while the concept of free courses is not excluded on Udemy, the majority of rightholders tend to charge the users for the admission to course materials – so, be ready to pay.
Table of Contents
Udemy Review: Basic Information About Udemy
As it has been noted in our Udemy review above, this platform is an intermediary between vendors and customers, where the first ones sell their products (i.e. courses) to the latter ones. So while there are some free courses that can be found on this website, you shouldn’t expect to find an abundance of such out there. At the same time, there is a clear advantage of such a concept – you are able to audit the courses that are lectured not by professors from universities (such as Coursera offers to its users, for example), but by present-day professionals, workers, who face real-life issues in their spheres everyday. So, you can be sure that you are getting something valuable.
On the other hand, there are several notable aspects about how this platform functions and they ensure that you will not get fooled. First of all, it must be pointed out that you get to see the introduction preview videos before actually purchasing the course, so you will get a sort of understanding of what you can expect further during the course. The other aspect is a thought-out grading system – each of the users who have undertaken courses on Udemy are able (and they actually do it very actively) to leave their reviews on the courses’ pages. The comments are displayed to others, while the average mark of the course is shown even before entering the course’s page.
Udemy can boast to be the largest platform for online education
Apart from the average mark, you will also see the author of the course and the course’s basic information (if you move your mouse over the image) before actually accessing the page of the course. If you enter the course’s page, you get to see the following information (also before purchasing the course): what will you master during the course, when the course has been updated last time, what it includes, information about the course’s author, and the course’s curriculum. All courses start from $10, which is a fairly low price for a high-quality content.
There are also Android and iOS applications available on Udemy. With their help, you can watch lectures in any place, download the courses, and pause/resume them anytime. This really facilitates many users and allows them to get a real comfort of the education process.
Udemy Review: Advantages of the Udemy Service
Udemy is, indeed, quite a popular platform for online education, and there are pretty worthy reasons to consider studying on this portal. This part of our Udemy review gives you a short list of advantages of using this service for studying:
- Udemy appears to be one of the largest portals for online education and one of the pioneers in this field. At the present time, the website offers over 48,000 courses to its users, covering a wide range of fields and subjects. If you are craving for sharpening your professional skills and knowledge, Udemy is a perfect spot for you. You will definitely find subjects and courses that would surely interest you.
- Udemy is perfectly suitable for those people who want to enhance their existing skills and enrich knowledge, as the service offers courses that are different from the on-campus-like ones. Coursera, the MOOC website that has already been mentioned in our Udemy review, offers courses that are prepared by universities and professional lectors. Udemy, on the contrary, contains both on-campus-like courses and courses, prepared by professionals who are actively engaged in that field. So, you can learn from present-day practicians.
- Udemy gives its clients the opportunity to study from any place and anytime with comfort. Udemy is one of the few MOOC websites that have developed fairly good Android and iOS applications. Those apps provide the customers with a good portion of comfort and allow them to study anywhere – you can even resume a last lecture and resume your studies within a couple of seconds.
- Udemy allows professionals from all fields and spheres to make their own courses and sell via its portal! If you believe that you possess valuable knowledge and you are capable of compiling a worthy course, then you are able to sell your courses on the company’s website, thus reaching millions and millions of users. It is proven that lecturers on Udemy earn $8,000 for a course on the average.
- Courses on Udemy are sold at quite a moderate fee and “forever.” Once you have purchased a course on Udemy, you receive a life-long access to the course’s materials. Besides, almost anyone can afford to purchase a course on this website – they are usually offered with a price tag of $10. Though, not all courses on Udemy provide certificates of accomplishment.
Best Udemy Courses
When it comes to selecting the best Udemy courses, one may face numerous issues with determining what are the best website’s courses. Though, it does not come as a surprise with a number of over 48,000 courses, offered on this website. In this section of our Udemy review, we provide just quite a short list of best Udemy courses for beginners in different fields, though the definition “best” is arguable in this instance.
A variety of coupons distributed on the web allow to take up free courses (with certificates of completion provided) on Udemy
- C# Basics for Beginners: Learn C# Fundamentals by Coding. If you want to master C#, one of the most popular coding languages on the web, this course is perfectly suitable for you. It contains 9 articles, 2 supplemental resources, 5.5 hours of on-demand videos, as well as you will get a certificate of completion upon the end of the course. The average mark of 4.7 from over 6,500 students is a good sign of the course’s high quality.
- Complete Java Masterclass. This course has received the average mark of 4.6 from over 19,000 students, and the astonishing number of 106,000 students enrolled just shows how popular this coding language is. The course contains 5 articles and 69.5 hours of on-demand videos – quite an impressive amount of learning materials.
- An Entire MBA in 1 Course: Award Winning Business School Prof. Over 106,000 have enrolled in this course, and the average mark of 4.5 from over 12,000 users shows the course is quite worthy to consider. The course also contains 65 supplemental resources, 33 articles, and 8 hours of on-demand videos.
- Microsoft Excel – Excel from Beginner to Advanced. Struggling to master the Excel skills? This course will, indeed, be helpful for you, whereas it provides 23 supplemental resources, 5 articles, and 12.5 hours of on-demand videos. After the course’s completion, you will be able to build a solid knowledge base of Microsoft Excel.
- Photoshop Beginners Mastery: Zero to Hero in Photoshop. If you want to master the skills necessary for working in Photoshop, this short course would be suitable for you – especially if you are limited in time. You are able to complete the course within a short span of time, whereas the course contains only 1 supplemental resource, 4 articles, and 2.5 hours of on-demand videos, allowing you to learn how to work in Photoshop pretty quickly.
- The Complete SEO Guide to Ranking Local Business Websites. If you are a small business owner or you wish to advance further in the field of SEO, this course may stand in good stead for you. While containing 12 supplemental resources, 17 articles, 6 minutes of on-demand audio, and 6.5 hours of on-demand video, it will teach you how to rank on the first page in Google for local businesses.
- The Secrets of Drawing. Indeed, Udemy offers even such courses, and they appear quite popular among lots of users. At the present time, the course has received the average mark of 4.4 from over 1,250 users and it provides the customers with 5.5 hours of on-demand videos.
- Photography Masterclass: Your Complete Guide to Photography. Are you having a desire to get started in the field of photography? Then, this 13.5-hour long course, which comes along with 25 articles and 5 supplemental resources, would be a right choice for you. No experience is required and anyone is able to master this art.
- How to Create an Awesome Online Course. You would be surprised, but even such courses are available on Udemy! This 8-hour-long course contains 1 supplement resource and shows you how to create a high-quality, worthy online course, which, in turn, will help you to earn some money on this website as well.
- International Politics Mastery: Complete Course. This course has recently been gaining popularity and provides an insight about the modern-day international politics, global threats and problems. The course contains 12 articles and 2.5 hours of on-demand videos.
How to Get an Udemy Coupon
Udemy coupons allow you to get pretty solid discounts on Udemy’s courses as well as other bonuses. Sometimes, coupons may give you a right for taking a free course at all! In this section of the Udemy review, you can actually find the sources of those coupons. In particular, you can find an impressive number of Udemy coupons on the following websites:
What Are Udemy Alternatives?
Udemy is deservedly considered to be the largest platform for online courses. Yet, more courses does not usually mean that all of them are of a good quality. In this part of our Udemy review, we have compiled a list of alternative to Udemy. Actually, this piece of the Udemy review helps you to find out what service is really better for you. So, the Udemy alternatives are the following:
Coursera. Coursera is placed first in this part of the Udemy review thanks to its popularity among customers (24 million users) and a great selection of courses. Indeed, the number of courses available exceeds 2,000 and covers all fields and sciences. Besides, anyone is able to audit all the courses completely free of cost!
edX. edX functions in a pretty same way like Coursera. It offers free online courses without certificates of completion. If you want to obtain a certificate, then you need to pay for a course. However, it also offers completely paid courses (unlike Coursera), and it is impossible to audit their materials without paying for them.
Udacity. This service is driven by the help of large tech corporations that provide courses, taught by their specialists, to this website. The names of those corporations include Google, Twitter, Facebook, AT&T, Mercedes, and many others. A large number of courses come free of cost. Though, you could have noticed that only tech companies are represented here – the service is designed only for IT specialists.
Pluralsight. This service is not accidentally follows Udacity in this piece of our Udemy review. Actually, it also provides online courses only in the field of IT, though the number of courses exceeds 4,000! Besides, you can take up any amount of courses you want during the period of your subscription. There is, perhaps, no need to say that the online courses that can be found on Pluralsight cover all fields and subjects of the computer science.
NovoEd. NovoEd is a service that offers both paid and free online courses to its customers. The key feature of NovoEd is its attempts to prompt collaboration between users, making it easier to acquire knowledge and skills during the learning process. Also, NovoEd has developed a software that facilitates the learning process and allows the students to cooperate with each other easier.
Khan Academy. This educational online resource is not surprisingly placed last in this part of our Udemy review. Khan Academy appears to be not an alternative, but rather a supplement to Udemy and all other educational resources listed here. It provides school-like education for young learners by covering a large number of subjects, including math, physics, chemistry, astronomy, economics, computer science, and many others.
How to Start Using the Udemy Service
If you have found worthy courses and decided to sign up for Udemy (or you have found coupons for free courses that interest you), then you should make a couple of steps in order to complete the registration procedure. This section of the Udemy review shows you how to get started on this website and all you need is to follow the guidelines:
- The first step of yours must be launching the browser and accessing the following website: http://www.udemy.com/.
- In the right-upper part of the page, you will notice the “Sign Up” button. Give it a click.
- There, fill out the registration form, which is fairly simple. You need to provide your full name (be sure to write it correctly, as in your passport or ID card), email address, and password. After that, click on the “Sign Up” button.
A team of Udemy students meeting together
- Go to the inbox of your email address, find a letter form Udemy, and click on “Confirm.”
- Get back to the website. Click on the “Log In” button, located in the same right-upper corner.
- Enter your email and password. Click on the “Log In” button in order to sign in to the website.
- Choose a category that interests you (the category box is located near the search box at the top). On the right, you will get to see a pop-up menu with sections of that category. Choose a section.
- Browse the courses in that section until you will find the one that suits your needs. Click on that course.
- Read carefully all the information about the course, as well as you may dedicate some time to reading reviews. If you still think that you need that course, click on the “Buy Now” button and purchase the course.